After the devastation of Hurricane Harvey, The Junior League of Corpus Christi, Inc. (JLCC) stepped out into our community and surrounding areas to help rebuild. While championing the JLCC theme of “Hunting to Make a Difference” during that time, these small and often spontaneous outreach events were focused on helping family and friends roll up their sleeves to remove debris, recovering homeowner’s belongings and lend a listening ear to the needs of the community.
These series of events has since become an inspiration for future league years, allowing us to add special events on as-needed basis to help our friends, family, and community partners in need with “done-in-a-day” type events.
In order to comply with COVID-19 safety protocols, 2020 – 2021 Wave of Red projects switched to volunteer opportunities that could be completed at-home and in small groups while maintaining social distancing. Projects included:
- Curbside Halloween Party at Ronald McDonald House
- Thanksgiving Dinner Baskets for families from the School of Science and Technology
- Christmas Cards sent to residents at Trinity Towers
- Christmas Adopt-A-Family at the Purple Door
- Martin Luther King Day Beach Clean
- Valentine’s Day Cards sent to patients at Driscoll Children’s Hospital